Friday, June 7, 2013

Thank you Andrea! I had to run inside today.

As I have mentioned, running is not my favorite thing to do, but I do love the sense of accomplishment when I am done. I also love the way it burns calories. So I keep on going.

I love to run outside. As long as it is not too hot, I am good to go. I find I am distracted enough by the flowers, the cars passing, the other runners, just about anything and the time goes by. I also find that there is no short changing my run, since I either do a loop or go 2.5 miles and then turn around, so I have to keep on running to get home. It would be embarrassing to call my son to come get me.

Today, Tropical Storm Andrea is dumping 4 inches of rain, so I went to my gym and ran on the treadmill.  Oh my, was that awful. All I can think about is how much this hurts...boy am I running slowly.... what am I making dinner...when can I stop. I managed to get 4 miles done, but it wasn't pretty. It is just so boring. It is a mental workout, as well as physical.

I have a few tricks to help me keep going. One thing I do is ladders, so each minute I increase my speed. I do this for 5 minutes, and then go back to my original speed. I like this because I have recovery and then push my self. I also say to myself I can do anything for one minute. The downside is that I am completely focused on the clock. Which seems to never move. The other trick is to change my speed every song. Sometimes this works to my advantage, sometimes not. Sometimes I plan what my weight workout will be when I am done. Today I realized that I needed new tricks.! So what do you think about when you are on the treadmill? What gets you through? Help!


yup-definitely-dont-look-cute-when-i-run.jpg

IIt's graduation weekend, so there is lots of eating and drinking planned. Knowing that in advance really helped me push to 4 miles. Could I have done that extra mile? I'm afraid so. But I also didn't want to be unconscious on the sofa today when we have things to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment