Sunday, June 2, 2013

A healthy smoothie to satisfy my sweet tooth



Well unfortunately, I didn't get to the gym this morning because I am waiting for the air conditioner repairman to come. I always take a killer tabata class on Sundays, and hate to miss it, but sometimes life gets in the way. I try not to beat myself up over it too much, even though I was really looking forward to it. Crazy huh? Anyway, to make up for my lack of exercise, I decided I was just going to eat really clean today. Since I am basically hanging out waiting, there is no excuse for not eating well. 


I found this apple pie smoothie recipe on Pinterest, of course, and followed it back to Dashingdish.com and tweaked the recipe a bit. Smooothies are all the rage, now aren't they? I find that I can throw spinach into any smoothie and I don't taste it, although it does turn it green. The cottage cheese just makes it creamy, you can't taste it either. I found it was sweet enough and I didn't need any additional ingredients. Also, I have a Vitamix, so I can put in a chopped apple, skin and all, and it blends it beautifully. If your blender can't mix up an apple, then you definitely have to make adjustments. If it is too thick, then you can add water. I don't like my smoothies cold, but if you do, you could of course add ice. 


1/2 cup cottage cheese (the kind where it is 90 calories per half cup)

1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Designer Whey)

1 apple, any variety, in pieces, with skin on

2 T sugar free butterscotch pudding mix 

1/2 t apple pie spice

1/2 cup almond milk (I use So Delicious Vanilla Almond Milk Plus)

handful of baby spinach






It has tons of protein and is really very filling, so it is perfect for after a work out or even to go. A co-worker mentioned to me that she tried a carrot cake smoothie, and lo and behold it is also from dashingdish.com, so I might try that next. Do you have a favorite smoothie?

No comments:

Post a Comment