Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Do groundhogs like basil? Overnight oats.


My groundhog is back. He lives under my deck. Every once in a while I look outside and see this big, fat, stupid looking thing in my garden or even on my deck. Soon I expect to see him sitting in one of my chairs laughing at me. Groundhogs live 5-8 years and last year my garden was decimated. (I'm blaming him, even though I have deer and bunnies, too, because I have caught him red-handed, or red-pawed as the case may be.) I've turned my vegetable garden into a flower garden, and oh are my peonies stunning right now. But, the reason I am bringing this up is a co-worker gave me a stevia plant. It is so sweet and delicious and I'm afraid if I plant it in my garden next to the oregano, mint, basil and cilantro, the groundhog will love it and never, ever leave. Regardless, any ideas on how to use this plant? I can see putting some leaves in some tea, but any thoughts? 

I might have a new favorite breakfast. I got this recipe from eatingbirdfood.com and it is pretty perfect for hot days. I usually have oatmeal with milk, a sprinkle of chia seeds and my Peanut Butter & Co chocolate peanut butter mixed in. I love it and it keeps me full, but sometimes I break into a sweat (or hot flash). So this morning this is what I tried:


Last night I put this all into a bowl and stuck it in the fridge- 

1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup Almond Plus 5g Almond Milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Designer Whey)
1/2 T chia seeds
1/2 t ground cinnamon
14 t vanilla


This morning I added 1 t almond butter and some blackberries, which I had in the house. It was pretty yummy. It kept me pretty full, so I will definitely be eating this again. Perfect for lunch at work, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment