Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Okay, here is a bad photo of dinner from last night. It was my daughter and I for dinner and we pretty much inhaled these standing up.  I just came home from work and my son had finished all of the leftovers. And I was so looking forward to one. Have to eat an apple instead!


This is the recipe from Emilybites.com. I've included my tweaks in italics. She has a lot of fun recipes, including an easy ground chicken parmesan recipe.


Southwestern Egg Rolls
Source: I’ve seen this recipe on a lot of different blogs. I used the one from Annie’s Eats, but I also saw them on Cake and AllieEzra Pound Cake and Budget Savvy Diva.
Ingredients:

2 cups frozen corn, thawed (I end up using one can of corn, drained)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese blend (I used Weight Watchers brand) (I use Sargento)
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 scallions (green onions), chopped (I skip this, never seem to have them on hand)
1 (4 oz) can of green chiles, drained (I skip this)
1 t ground cumin
½ t chili powder
1 t salt
½ t black pepper
¼ t cayenne pepper
24 egg roll wrappers (1 package)


Directions:
1.    Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly mist two baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside. (I use Reynolds wrap yellow non-stick foil. Have you ever used this stuff? It is amazing- nothing ever sticks)
2.    In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the egg roll wrappers and stir to thoroughly combine.
3.    Pour some water into a small dish and set aside. On a flat surface, place an egg roll wrapper, corner facing toward you (like a diamond) and put ¼ cup of the mixture from the bowl on the center of the wrapper. Spread the mixture in a horizontal line from the left corner to the right corner of the wonton wrapper, leaving ½ inch or so of space on each side. Fold the bottom corner closest to you up over the ingredients and give it a 90 degree roll. Fold the side corners in and tuck them as you give the filled section another 90 degree roll. Dip your finger in the dish or reserved water and lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper. Finish rolling the filled egg roll over the wet corner so that it adheres. Place wrapped egg roll onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4.    When all of the egg rolls are wrapped and on the baking sheets, lightly mist the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 14-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden brown. Serve with salsa for dipping.


Except for the egg roll wrappers, everything is pretty much always in my cabinets. It is an inexpensive, relatively easy meal. And her picture totally blows away mine. Let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment